Friday, November 8, 2013

It's been a relaxing and quiet week. It seems like there has been more quality time with people this week, which I'm thankful for, considering my time here is so quickly drawing to a close.

Around November third, the weather took a turn for the worst, and the rain began. I was thankful it had held off for so long, but was very sad to say goodbye to the beautiful sunshine and outdoor activities. Plus I wasn't sure how I felt about riding the bike to the grocery store in the cold rain. And yet, just as I was accepting that it was over, the sun returned yesterday, and I could once again walk downtown in a t-shirt! I can't believe it's November and still so warm.

Again this week I had only one student for teen club...probably due to the rainy weather. Most of the teens walk, and so I imagine they just wanted to go home. But my numbers for teen club tend to be a little inconsistent regardless. So if one student shows up, I usually just bring out an English game that suits their level. This week it was Apples to Apples, which is actually a great game for English students who are at a low-advanced level. I've been using the Junior version because it's a little clearer for English students, and actually still just as fun.

I've really been enjoying adult English club. I feel like I am just really starting to figure out how to teach these classes, and now I sadly only have about three left. My greatest challenge has been that my students are intermediate and have a lot of vocabulary, so they are more interested in the rules of grammar, which is not really my strong point. I know how it should be said, but I don't always know why it should be said that way. There have been some questions that have stumped me entirely, and at times it ends up that my own students teach me the rules instead of me teaching them. Their biggest interest is in the English verb tenses. There are only three tenses in Hungarian, but there are twelve in English. So my last class ended up being more of a Q&A on English grammar, which was actually really good. The students seemed very eager, and it helped me understand what they want to know, and what areas they are finding difficult. I've also begun to find my own knowledge of the Hungarian language useful in teaching every once in awhile. But if I have learned anything it's that English is so confusing!! 

Today was our day off, and Szilvi and Miklos invited us to go to the hot springs lake in Heviz. It is the biggest hot springs lake in Europe, and a popular tourist location. The water was not too hot to swim, but more like the temperature of a heated indoor pool. There are pink and purple lily pad gardens everywhere. At first it kinda grossed me out because, as much as I like plants, I don't like swimming with them :) but I got over it. It was very refreshing. It felt a bit like we were going to the beach in November. 

After the lake, we walked a little bit around Heviz (it was dark) and had ice cream cones (the Gelato ice cream here is very delicious). Then we went back to Szilvi and Miklos's for dinner. 

Heviz Lake (I didn't take these pictures)
                                




                          




No comments:

Post a Comment